Thursday, September 13, 2012

Welcome to Muan!

My second orientation, which took place at SBC in the outskirts of Gwangju, was officially over on the 29th of August.  So picture this... My principal picks me up from orientation and doesn't speak a single word of English.  I felt like a pet that was being adopted into a new family or something.

(Above: Me and the other teachers waiting to get adopted.)
After a really awkward lunch and hour drive, we arrive in Muan; my home for the duration of my teaching contract.  Unlike the bigger cities that we've been staying in, Muan is definitely rural.  I myself am from a small town, so this is very familiar to me. So anyways, I'm in this car that's filled to the brim with all my luggage and we stop in front of Muan Elementary School.  He then informs me that I will meet all the staff  and sit through a staff meeting to discuss the beginning of the school year.  But dear friends, don't forget about the fact that I don't speak ANY Korean. Yeah.. Awkward! 
Now, without further adieu... Muan Elementary School. 
 The town of Muan might be pretty small, but Muan Elementary is not.  A lot of kids from villages nearby attend school here.
 This is the entrance to Muan Elementary School.  To the immediate left is the principal's office.  To the right is the vice principal's office.  I walk through here every day.  Oh yeah...Did I mention that it's tradition to say hello to the Principal and VP as you walk in? Oh, and don't forget to bow (yes, bow) as you greet them. If you don't, then you might as well accept the fact that no one will like you.  Respect for those in higher positions than you, or the elderly is very important in Korea.
 Also, notice the lockers... In Korea it's also tradition that you wear "indoor shoes" (aka slippers) inside the school.  Everyone takes their shoes off, even visitors.
 Time to explore... This is what I would call "Onion Street."  It's the main street in Muan.  Notice the street lights shaped like onions?  My little town is known for its onions... Yepp, onions.  
One thing I've fallen in love with is this little park right off Onion Street.  It's so relaxing to just walk around and get stared at for being one of the four foreigners in the entire town Muan.

No comments:

Post a Comment